Know What Is an IRS Officer? How To Become IRS Officer? & IRS Education Qualification, Selection Process, Pay Scale & More
Candidates who become IRS officers have to work very hard because, this post is a very respectable post of civil service. Earlier the posts of IAS, IPS and IFS which are respectable posts. This post of IRS officer is made up of (C & CE) and IRS (IT) IRS officers mainly have to do the work related to collection, administration and policy making of direct income, corporate, money, FBT etc. The person who holds this post is called the Tax Administrator of India, which is mainly under the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) or the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) in the Revenue Department under the Ministry of Finance. In this post, along with respect, good salary is also provided to the person. If you also want to become an IRS officer, then here you will find how to become an IRS officer, qualification, age, course, salary, preparation. Its complete information is being provided.
What is an IRS Officer?
IRS is a Group ‘A’ post of the Indian Administrative Service, which is selected by the UPSC commission through the Indian Civil Services. Among the excellent posts in the Indian Civil Service, the Indian Revenue Service is also considered a good and very responsible post. This post is under the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance, Government of India, through which the responsibility of collecting all direct taxes and indirect taxes is entrusted to the IRS officers only. After getting selected as an IRS officer, you are appointed for IRS (Income Tax) or IRS (Customs and Central Excise).
How to become an IRS Officer?
To get this coveted post, candidates have to work very hard for about 2 years because, to get this post, candidates have to appear in the written test and interview, in which the candidates have to get success. is appointed for this post. IRS officers work under the Central Board of Direct Taxes and the Central Board of Excise and Customs under the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance. It is the income which is provided by the respective governments for welfare programs for the common people of the state. Therefore, the candidates who work hard for this post and get success, those candidates get this respectable post.
Eligibility Criteria For IRS:
IRS Educational Qualification: A candidate to become an IRS officer must have a degree or equivalent qualification from an Indian university. Apart from this, those candidates can also apply for this post, who are studying in the final year of degree course. If you have also done graduation from distance education, then only you can apply for filling the civil service form.
IRS Age Limit: The minimum age of a candidate to become an IRS officer is 21 years and maximum 30 years is mandatory. Upper age limit is relaxable by 3 years for OBC candidates and 5 years for SC/ST candidates. Relaxation in upper age limit is also provided in favor of Defense Service Personnel.
How to prepare to become an IRS officer?
To become an IRS officer or officer, you have to appear in the Civil Services Examination conducted by UPSC once in a year. If you fulfill the above given eligibility then you can apply online for IRS after which your exam will be in the following steps.
Phase I (Syllabus related to Preliminary Examination):
Subjects Subject Marks Time
General Knowledge 200 2 Hours
Comprehension and Logical Reasoning 200 2 hours
This exam is conducted in the month of May or June, and this exam is just a qualifying exam for the final exam.
2. Phase II:
In this phase, the candidates who are successful in the preliminary examination are included, which is conducted in the month of October.
01 Essay Type Indian Language Aptitude Paper 300
01 English Aptitude 300
01 General Essay 200
02 General Studies Paper 300 (300 marks per question paper)
04 optional subjects 300 (300 marks per question paper)
3. Phase III (Interview): The candidates who get success in both these stages of examinations are called for the interview under the last stage, in which the personality and mental ability of the candidate is tested during the interview. After this, the candidates who are successful in the interview are selected according to their rank one and they are given basic training of 3 months.
Training of IRS Officer: If you are selected in the merit list decided after all the stages, then according to your rank, you are appointed to that post of Indian Civil Service, after which your IRS training will be started. The training of all the selected candidates is done in the Labsna (LBSNAA) campus of Dehradun. During training, they are also provided with a 2-year post graduate degree related to public administration by JNU University. After completing the training from here, they have to do training on the field under a senior officer. After which they are appointed to a permanent post in the Indian Administrative Service.
IRS Officer Salary and Perks Per Month:
The Government of India has fixed the pay grade for IRS officers, which changes with the new salary. We have given the rank and pay band wise salary details of all the officers through the table:-
- Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 15,600-39,100 Grade pay of Rs.5,400
- Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 15,600-39,100 Grade Pay of Rs. 6,600
- Joint Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 15,600-39,100 Grade Pay of Rs. 7,600
- Additional Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 37,400-67,000 Grade Pay of Rs. 8,700
- Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 37,400-67,000 Grade Pay of Rs. 10,000
- Principal Commissioner of Income: Tax Rs. 75,500-80,000
- Chief Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 75,500-80,000
- Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax: Rs. 80,000 (fixed)
In addition to the salary, other approved allowances are also given to the IRS officer, which includes Dearness Allowance, HRA, Travel Allowance, Medical Facility etc. For other types of correct information related to salary and allowances, definitely see the official advertisement of Civil Service.
Functions of IRS Officer:
- The officer working in this post has to work under the Central Tax Policy, in which he has to consider and take action on subjects related to Custom, Direct Tax, and Excise Duty.
- In India, you have to give your cooperation in the planned discussion of tax, policy related discussions.
- The Government of India has to work on various types of agreements and deals.
- Tax or collection of tax, taking necessary action regarding tax evasion.
- Ground report of the tax policy of the Government of India to reach the government, so that policy reforms or new rules can be made
FAQ Related to IRS:
Q. What is the full form of IRS?
Ans. Indian Revenue Service
Q. What is the qualification to become an IRS?
Ans. You must have graduation or equivalent educational qualification.
Q. How is an IRS officer selected?
Ans. Appointment to the post of IRS is given only after a good rank in the examination conducted by UPSC examination.